Emerging Leaders Program
Roads Australia is proud to host a stellar 2020 Emerging Leaders Program, providing the next generation of industry leaders with a range of networking events, informative webinars and podcasts, as well as group mentoring sessions.
To view all upcoming events, head to our events page.
- to provide opportunities for our emerging leaders to improve their networking skills;
- to hear from industry leaders regarding new trends or industry innovations;
- to broaden their knowledge and understanding of career opportunities and options in the industry;
- to encourage diversity in the industry and deliver on our commitment to foster young talent;
- to further entrench the 'giving back' philosophy among members, including from our Fellows who support the Emerging Leaders Program as part of their Fellowship;
- to add value to RA membership by increasing the depth of our engagement within our members' organisations (as opposed to only engaging with senior management).
Emerging Leaders 'PPP' Award - Promise, Passion and Pursuit
To support the development of young leaders in our industry, RA offers the opportunity for one emerging leader annually to engage in a 12-month industry exposure and ambassador experience.
This is a fantastic opportunity to observe and understand how leaders interact and make decisions, and to play an integral role in the growth and development of the Emerging Leaders Program.
The successful applicant will have access to a range of unique and invaluable opportunities over 12 months:
- complimentary access to all RA industry events ('Golden Ticket')
- complimentary attendance at exclusive RA boardroom events, with exposure to other CEOs and influential leaders from the public and private sectors (including some travel where necessary);
- actively contribute to Emerging Leaders events, including speaking and facilitating;
- observer position on our Fellowship Council, contributing to the growth and development of the Future Leaders Programs;
- observer position on the D&I Committee to represent Emerging Leaders
- ability to engage in some Fellowship activities; including leadership roundtables and the research project.
2019 Winner - Verity Williams
This year’s winner, Verity Williams, is an engineer who has worked across South and Western Australia on various roads, structures and traffic jobs. In all of her roles, they have driven not only high project performance, but also delivered additional value to employees, community and the industry.
This includes supporting mental health, engaging women in STEM, mentoring and engaging indigenous youth, and volunteering time for first aid, social committees, graduate development and safety enhancement.
In addition, Verity has also won an engineering excellence award through Curtin University, and scholarship through Main Roads WA to attend the World Conference on Timber Engineering through her thesis work.
Not only does Verity commit to their own YP program internally, they are also actively seeking ways to enhance Roads Australia’s Emerging Leaders program and drive opportunities for emerging leaders on the west coast.
Verity will not only bring passion, promise and pursuit to the role of Roads Australia’s Emerging Leaders Ambassador, they will also endeavour to enhance the opportunities for our emerging leaders.
The Emerging Leaders PPP Award is proudly sponsored by Transport for NSW
How does it differ from the RA Fellowship Program?
The program has evolved along similar lines to our Fellowship Program, but with some key differences:
- It targets a different professional group.*
- The emphasis is on knowledge sharing and networking rather than mentoring (although we do provide the latter in group environments).
- Participation isn't merit-based. Rather, it's open to all who fit the age/experience criteria, and who work for an RA member organisation.
Our events across Australia bring together hundreds of young professionals to share ideas, experiences and solutions, and to hear from current leaders about the challenges of 'stepping up' to the next level.
* Specifically those with 10-or-less years' industry experience, or under the age of 35
To join the Emerging Leaders network, email Prue Northey